Your first impression of my review of Jimmy Moore’s new book, Keto Clarity, should be taken with some appropriate degree of skepticism. After all, it’s no secret that I’m a Jimmy Moore fan. He and I eat in similar fashion, and we’re both evangelicals of the benefits of a low carbohydrate, moderate protein, high fat, “real food” diet.
Jimmy also helped launch my low carb blogging career. I’ve been a guest on his podcasts multiple times. And he contributed to two of my own books, writing the Foreward to The Low Carber’s Survival Guide and generously contributing an interview for Diet Information Overload Syndrome.
Point is, this is not an objective review 🙂
That said, it might be challenging for me to tamp down on the superlatives, because I truly believe this book could be a game changer and help thousands lose weight and live healthier.
Jimmy and his co-author — the eminent researcher (and best selling author in his own right), Dr. Eric Westman — touch on an array of fascinating questions, such as:
- How is the ketogenic diet different from the standard Atkins-esque low carb diet? (They derive a nifty mnemonic: Keep carbs low, Eat more fat, Test ketones often, Overdoing protein is bad).
- What are the purported advantages of the ketogenic diet?
- Who might particularly benefit from this way of eating?
- What’s the state of the science of ketogenic diets?
- How can you ensure that you’re actually IN ketosis?
- What are 5 common ketogenic diet mistakes? (Hint: 1. eating too much protein; 2. measuring ketones inaccurately; 3. not eating enough of the right fats; 4. eating too often or too much; 5. not managing blood sugar issues.)
- What are some key unsolved questions about this diet?
- How can you customize a ketogenic diet?
- Jimmy and Dr. Westman answer dozens of other cool questions – the FAQ chapter is one of the most interesting.
4 Reasons Why Keto Clarity Is Worth Adding to Your Bookshelf
1) Jimmy has a gift for explaining complex medical/diet related ideas in simple language, and he’s interviewed practically every respected authority and researcher in the world on this topic in his various podcasts. I’ve now read all his books, and this is my favorite one, from a purely stylistic POV.
2) For what it’s worth, Jimmy used a ketogenic diet to shed massive amounts of weight — weight that he regained (to a point) while on a standard Atkins protocol. It’s been over 10 years since Jimmy lost 180 pounds on Atkins, and he maintains a triple-digit fat loss. I don’t have the exact figures, but I have to believe that puts him in the top 1% of 1% of all dieters out there. In other words, he is way WAY more successful than most dieters who’ve ever tried to lose 100+ pounds. Sure, his experience is an “n=1 experiment,” and thus we can’t extrapolate too much from it. But it is crazy impressive, however you slice it.
3) Dr. Westman has racked up lots of clinical experience applying low carb and ketogenic diets successfully. He’s published several books as well as many journal articles in top tier medical journals about these topics.
4) 22 guest experts join Jimmy and Dr. Westman on their quest to simplify and teach the complexities of the ketogenic diet. These include Dr. Zeeshan Arain from Australia (who’s worked with hundreds of patients); Dr. William Davis, New York Times bestselling author of Wheat Belly; Dr. Bill Lagakos, author of the awesome blog, www.caloriesproper.com; Dr. Thomas Seyfried, whose book, Cancer as a Metabolic Disease, might be one of the most important ever written on the subject of cancer; Dr. Ron Rosedale, author of The Rosedale Diet; and Dr. David Permutter, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling book, Grain Brain. And that’s for starters! These 22 experts add heft and gravity to the book, and their insights demonstrate that the ketogenic diet is rapidly becoming a powerful (and mainstream) therapeutic dietary tool.
What Other People Are Saying about Keto Clarity
“Keto Clarity comprehensively covers the subject of human Nutritional Ketosis, and it is a fascinating journey… The benefits of this regime when carried out properly are huge – weight control, appetite control, mental acuity, wellness, and generally improved blood test metrics across the board; notably, it is the safest and most effective way to guard against the “diseases of modernity”. This is NOT a “fad” diet book – this is the pinnacle of human nutritional understanding gained through working with top experts in the field, and demonstrating the effectiveness of same through personal achievement, and reference to a growing mass of people who are benefitting likewise, including myself.” — From the awesome ‘Fat Emperor’ blog
“Jimmy connects with readers about his touching journey about towards health and real food. One thing I love about Jimmy’s point of view is that unlike a lot of low carb gurus is that he preaches to eat natural farm fresh foods such as grass fed and organic. He also does not believe in eating vegetable oils and artificial sweeteners and that is very important. He also has a lot of information about using keto for preventing and dealing with cancer. I think ketosis could be a very healthy thing for many people depending on their health going into it.” — From Caitlin Weeks (Grass Fed Girl)
“From determining your personal level of carbohydrate and protein tolerance, to knowing how much fat to eat, Keto Clarity methodically breaks down this way of eating in a way that is entertaining, funny and easy to understand. At the end of the book we are presented with a recipe guide and a 21 day eating plan to jumpstart nutritional ketosis… Keto Clarity is a book that is right on time. With the tides turning in the scientific and medical community regarding the role of fat and cholesterol in our diet, Keto Clarity brings education, practical application and encouragement to people seeking a healthier lifestyle.” — From JDaddyCoach’s blog.
I may not be going all the way to keto any time soon — my standard LCHF (low carb high fat) diet seems to be working fine, for now. But I am psyched to have Jimmy’s new book in my reference shelf, and I believe it has the chance to help thousands of people find relief from diverse and unfortunate medical conditions, ranging from obesity to cancer to mental health issues. Grab your copy today — get clarity on this critically important dietary tool.